Thursday, August 30, 2012

No Chris

I was listening to the MSNBC coverage of the Republican National Convention (RNC) between innings of a baseball game and Chris Matthews was trying to make a point about Mitt Romeny's religion (Mormon) and why it doesn't matter. He said we all inherit our religion from our parents, "It's given..."

Sorry Chris, it's not given, it's a choice when we get old enough to choose for ourselves if we're smart enough to learn other religions and seek to find the one which fits our thinking and beliefs. It's not given. My parent were protestants, and while they weren't particularly true, faithful followers, we still went to church and often Bible study.

But when we reached the age of 12, they let us decide if we still wanted to go to church beyond the few holidays a year when attendence is expected. Of the three of us kids, only my sister kept going and later became an evangical Christian. My brother found parties and alcohol to be better than God.

And I decided nothing until I was in my late teens I read Alan Watt's book, "The Watercourse Way", and have ever since been, although more lazy than not, a follower of Taoism. Not my parent's religion. Sorry Chris, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried, so stop talking as if you know more than the rest of us. You don't. You're just guessing.

And yes, I'll keep my Taoism thank you. It's better than Mormonism any day of the week, even holidays.

No comments: